Creamy Dairy-Free Pasta Sauce
I just love creamy pasta (who doesn’t?!), and sometimes a big, heaped serving of the stuff is just the only thing that will kill my craving for it. However, as any dairy in my diet causes spots across my cheeks I had to find a dairy free alternative. This is a mixture of two recipes for vegan carbonara for the ultimate creamy sauce!!!
For a low carb option you can use a julienne slicer to create noodles out of carrots or courgettes. You would add these with the sauce and pinenuts.
- Whole grain pasta or Courgette Noodles
- 125g cashews, soaked overnight
- 180ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large ripe Avocado, pitted
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- Handful of fresh parsley (keep some for the garnish)
- Clove garlic minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-3 cups of mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- handful of pinenuts
- Pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup of walnuts, chopped and toasted
- Start cooking your pasta of choice or prepare courgette noodles.
- Roast a chicken breast.
- In a blender, add the soaked cashews (soak at least overnight for the creamiest sauce), the avocado, lemon juice, the parsley and the unsweetened coconut milk and keep blending until very creamy.
- In a pot add a little coconut oil and fry the garlic, onions and mushrooms until softened. Add in the sauce and pinenuts until heated. Season with salt and pepper. If using courgette noodles, add at this point to heat through and soften slightly.
- Pour over your pasta and garnish with parsley and lemon zest. Top with the walnuts. Yum!