This week I have for you, Carrot and Coriander soup! Friday last week I bought a huge bunch of carrots on my regular trip to Gregory’s Vegetable Stall at the market square. You can’t get much fresher than there. If you have a local farmers market it’s worth a visit for the quality. Everything is so delicious! However I don’t really eat many carrots, so I have this bunch of about 10 huge carrots to consume over the week! Time to flick through my recipe book and find the carrot recipes!
It’s been ages since I have made Carrot and Coriander Soup so I am really looking forward to this today! This is incredibly simple to make and you only need a few ingredients. It’s light and fresh, plus it freezes really well too.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, washed and sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1.2L stock
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- zest and juice of 1/2 a small orange
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Today I had a leftover chicken
carcassso I made a really simple chicken stock by throwing the bones and skin into the pot I was intending to cook the soup in, bringing to the boil and simmering for three hours. Then passing through a fine sieve. Stockwill keep in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for 2-3 months. Allow to coolbefore putting in the fridge or freezer.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot, add the onions, leeks, carrots and garlic, sauté for 4mins, until they are beginning to soften but not colour. Stir in the ground coriander and plenty of seasoning and cook for 1min.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20mins or until the carrots are really tender. Stir in the fresh coriander.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor. Add the orange zest and juice and nutmeg to taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Reheat until just hot but not boiling and serve.
PS: Be sure to subscribe to my fortnightly newsletter. I send out a mix of recipes like this to try, and video workouts for you to do at home. As a bonus, you will receive the highlights of my Nutrition Guide.